Friday, June 5, 2009

Today he would have been 86

Today is June 5, 2009. My Grandpa's birthday. He was a wonderful man and he loved his 6 grandchildren to distraction. I think of him often, but I have gotten to the point where it doesnt hurt as much anymore and I can think of him with a smile. It used to be that I would be so angry and burst into tears at just the mention of his name. The circumstances of the day he died still make me angry. I know it wasn't of natural causes, and I know that the Riverside county sheriffs department was wrong to not launch an investigation into the situation with his "wife" but there is nothing that I can do about that now. All I can do is remember the good times. The endless supply of Pepsi and butterscotch candies, the times that he would take me to school, watching the Dodgers blay ball, waking up to his TV blaring The Waltons because he fell asleep and rolled over on the remote. He was a wonderful man, and I know now that he is with my Macon now and that they are both happy. It saddens me that he wasn't able to see me get married, and he wont be around when John and I start our family, but he knew John, and said from the beginning that he liked him because John treated me the way he treated my Macon. So today, I will be happy and not sad, because it is his birthday. And Im going to have a Pepsi, some butterscotch candy (even though I don't really like it) and a piece of fillet for him. Its kinda silly, I think they have those things up in Heaven. I just think it is a nice gesture, :)

3 comments:

Elise said...

I wish I could have known your grandpa. It sounds like he was a wonderful man. Happy Birthday to him!

Misty Thornton said...

He was. I know you would have liked him and I know he would have liked you too!

Amber said...

Sure do miss him, too! I know he is with grandma,now. Makes it a bit easier... Take care Mist, hope to see you someday soon...